Have you got a spare hour, morning, weekend, or month?
Come to the Phuket Government Dog Pound. Home of over 700 dogs (and counting)!
Some of the volunteer activities can range from cleaning the runs, giving baths, cleaning ears, eyes and wounds to socializing and walking the dogs.
Any help that you are comfortable with is greatly appreciated! Lots of the dogs just want some cuddles and belly rubs. Maybe you’ll find your own furry friend!
What to know before Volunteering:
• The pound (from donators/volunteers) provide rubber boots, gloves, and other materials.
Bringing your own socks is a good idea and donations of any of these products are always needed
• Bring a change of clothes is advised
• The Phuket Government Dog Pound has been rabies free and a vaccination may not be required. However, it is still advised to get your shots. Please check with your doctor for all vaccinations
• By volunteering, you are engaging with the animals at your own risk. Accidents are very rare, but can happen.
• You will see difficult things – the reality is that some of these dogs came from horrible situations. Many volunteers come for this reason – they are making a difference for an animal that really needs it. At the pound the dogs are treated by vets, fed daily, and are now in a place where they have hope.
• You can stop by the pound at any time without arranging in advance. Volunteers are ALWAYS needed
Would you like to spend your holiday/extend your stay volunteering long-term at the Phuket Government Pound?
This is certainly welcomed and much appreciated.
The Pound is located in the north of the island, and the closest areas to look for accommodation are Nai Thon, Nai Yang, Thalang. Please note that you will need your own transportation, but can try to arrange this with other volunteers. Rent will vary based on your needs, but expect to pay between 6,000 - 10,000 baht per month minimum. Food is very cheap in Thailand, and you can expect to get a local meal between 50-100 baht.
Hours: Monday - Sunday 9am - 4.30pm
Government Dog Pound. Phuket. Thailand.
It is North of Phuket. If coming from the south. It's on the 402 after the airport road on the left hand side. There’s a blue PTS on the right. It’s just after that on the left where the road bends. 8.076374,98.342507
Thep Krasatti, Thalang District, Phuket 83110, Thailand